Sunday, July 10, 2011

The (Wobbly) Wheel of Fortune

I don't know why, but each time I go to a grocery store, I get a cart that has atleast one wheel that is wobbly. The periodic jerks of the handlebar and the persistent clank definitely draws some attention. People look at me as if I am stopped at a traffic light and the loud bangs from my car's broken muffler are rattling their car's windows.

The Gods of grocery stores seem to be pissed with me at the moment. May be it is that I enjoy letting the shopping carts go really fast when I go to return them in their parking space, and that pisses the powers that be off. Or may be, the Walmart/Target Gods are just racist and don't like it when a brown skinned person from Indian subcontinent does only part of his groceries at their stores and the rest of it at an ethnic food store. Or may be they are pissed because on multiple occasions I have checked out my groceries at the register that says '20 Items or Less' even though I have counted multiple units of one thing as one item to make the cut.

I've even tried to take a cart that is two, three or four deep in the train, but to no avail. I hope the law of averages catches up soon and that one of these days I'll find a shopping cart whose wheels ride smooth.

The wobbly wheeled carts in grocery stores used to annoy me, but not anymore. May be because the ride hasn't been particularly smooth on the personal front either, and I am in the midst of a confluence of events that are hell bent on going wrong howsoever hard I may try. I am keeping my fingers crossed though, and I will keep pushing the damn cart till I've crossed everything off from my shopping list.

I hate grocery shopping.

No comments: