Tuesday, September 20, 2011

India Diary II - Motocross on 7bhp and 100cc

Delhi certainly didn't disappoint, and neither did my hometown of Ludhiana.In the ten days that I have been back home, I have experienced the city like I never did when I was living here while growing up. The pothole ridden roads, roads that literally turn into streams during monsoon, the unruly traffic, the blaring horns from two-, three- and four-wheelers - I was surprised to find myself completely at ease with, if not actually enjoying everything. There is something oddly satisfying about seeing hordes of people moving about in the city - it is not like US where all one sees on highways is fast moving traffic - just an endless string of cars and SUVs going somewhere, and in their own lanes.

I found the chaotic traffic, ceaseless noise, vehicles spewing smoke, and dusty roads etc. oddly therapeutic. One is so engrossed in making it to ones destination that the only way is to keep ones focus on the road and in the now. Everything else is blocked out. Getting from one place to the other is a project in itself, and at the end of it there is that sense of accomplishment that I've made it, alive and well! Atleast it has been so for me. Where else can one experience that always-on-the-edge excitement, and that too daily?!




After having driven on highways that allow speeds in excess of 75 miles an hour (120+ kms/hour) on a regular basis in the US and elsewhere in the west, I never thought I'd enjoy riding a four-stroke scooter whose specs. read 7bhp, 100 cc, at 35-30km/hour! But, in Ludhiana condition of many roads is such that most motocross tracks will be put to shame, and I still do not mind riding a scooter on such roads. I had forgotten what skill it takes to ride a scooter at just 5 kms/hour and not put ones feet down on the road, all the while negotiating the pot holes and the traffic. May be I'll get weary of all this in a few days. I hope that doesn't happen, but we shall see.

I haven't yet had an opportunity to drive a car in the city for our own car is out for repairs etc. I am still a little apprehensive of the steering wheel and the gear shift being on the "wrong" side, especially because I actually learnt to drive a car only after I got to the US. I'd probably end up regretting driving a car in Ludhiana as it won't nearly be as maneuverable as a scooter. But I am definitely looking forward to that as well.


No comments: